Saturday, April 5, 2008

Home Cooking

A few of my friends have asked why I am doing this. I have to admit that I have also asked that question. I've never been one to keep a diary or journal and while lightening my impact on the environment is of importance to me, there are a number of great blogs that deal with this subject. Some of which I read on a regular basis. These blogs have inspired me and given me a number of tips and ideas. Many of which I have adopted to varying degrees of success.



One of the changes I made, which I did not think I was going to be able to do, was limiting my consumption of heavily processed or convenience foods. I have focused on making my own food. Rather than buying a frozen dinner, or box of macaroni and cheese, frozen chicken fillets, I make the meal myself. So if I want macaroni and cheese, I cook the macaroni, make the cheese sauce, put them together with a sprinkling of cheese on top for good measure, and in the oven it goes. When I make my own foods I control everything, so if the recipe calls for something I do not like, it never makes it into the pot so to speak. On the other hand, if there is something I really like, then there may be extra.


Most recipes feed three or four and as I am only one, I usually have enough for dinner, lunch the next day at work and dinner again if I can deal with having the same thing three times in a row. However some times I will put the leftovers into the freezer for later use, usually when I am feeling especially lazy, or if I have scheduled myself too much. Extra meals in the freezer have turned into a real bonus and time saver.



All of this is to say that while I thought giving up convenience and processed food would be difficult if not impossible for me, thus far it has proven to be relatively painless. I still go out for meals once in a while with friends, but no longer is this routine and if I have more than two days of meals out, I start to miss home cooked food and the process of cooking.

No comments: