Thursday, April 3, 2008

Crunchy Chicken's Buy Nothing Challenge.

Myself and many others have accepted Crunchy Chicken's challenge to buy nothing for the month of April. This means with the exception of groceries and other necessities, I will not be shopping. While I do not normally do a lot of shopping, I expect that this challenge will force me to really examine my spending habits and how they do or do not reflect my values.


This said...I think it will be a challenge. I love to read, and have what I am sure, is an addiction to books. To me one of the great pleasures of life is to curl up in the winter and stretch out in the summer with a book. Somehow I suspect, that for the month of April I will be using my public library much more than I have previously as I am unwilling to give up my addiction.

I've always supported public libraries, and when I was a poor university student, pretty much lived in them. I believe libraries provide so much more than books. For me, the library was (and is) a place to meet people and to make discoveries, in essence become connected with my community. When I started working I stopped going to the library all the time, convincing myself that I just did not have the time. Later when I started to make some money, I began to buy books rather than borrowing them. While I do not intend to stop buying books all together, for this month at least, there will be no new books on my shelf. In future months, I will have to be more judicious about which books I buy. In the meantime, I'd better get going...the library closes in less than two hours.

I have to apologize to Crunchy Chicken for not posting a link, but not only am I new to the blogging thing, I still have problems figuring out technology.

No comments: