Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Big and Small Changes

I started this blog to document my progress as I live a more sustainable life. My theory is that if I can do, really anyone in North America can. At this point I have made a number of small changes. These include simple things like carrying a hankerchief (or two or three) with me at all times, vastly limiting my spending (which of course has the added benefit of making my bank balance happier), and buying as much local food as possible directly from the farmer. I have also participated in what some may consider more daring challenges. For example, with the exception of a few times, there was no heat in my place for the entire winter, and while I do live in Southwest BC where the weather is relatively moderate, it is still Canada.

This got me thinking about what I should be focusing on, big or small changes. Both have benefits and drawbacks and it is not always easy to determine which change is going to be big or small.

When I first start a big challenge, there is an amazing amount of excitement and before the actual change anticipation. Like deciding to eat nothing but food grown within a 100 mile radius of my place (I have modified this slightly since then), not turning on the heat during the winter, or perhaps even giving up the car. When I talk about either what I plan to do or how it is progressing, I get a variety of responses. They range from genuine amazement, a belief that I am going or gone to far, or that I am showing off and looking down on others. It might seem logical that through trial and error I would only tell those who look at the changes in a positive manner. But it is difficult to figure out how someone is going to respond prior to my telling them I have to admit that usually the htere are a number the plan or how it is going, people look at me as though I am forging new ground, even though I explain that what I am doing is something that many These types of changes are not always easy to do, often require a degree of planning, and or skills, may not be socially acceptable or trendy, and usually there is no 'corporate support'.

For example eating only food that is grown within a 100 mile radius, can at times present as challenging. I am fortunate that I live in an area that has a number of farms, however choosing to eat local food required me to learn new skills (canning and preserving foods) and to work on Nature's schedule not mine. When the corn was ready, I had to buy lots and learn very quickly how to preserve it for later because once the corn was gone, I was not going to buy anymore. This is certainly very rewarding in that I discovered foods that I did not know that I liked. However, with the exception of a couple of my friends, no one was willing to make this sort of change, so I learned how to can foods on my own (not everything worked out), and because growning seasons can be quite short, there were a number of social engagments that I could not attend.

In contrast when I first decide to take on a smaller change, like using a non plastic water bottle, using cloth grocery bags or using a hankerchief rather than a tissue, at times it almost seems anti-climatic. I know I am making a change, and that this change has an effect, but it is not nearly as exciting as a big change. There is no sort of drum roll if you will. Usually the changes are easy, do not demand too much from myself and others, are socially acceptable, and may even have 'corporate support'.

Using the cloth shopping bag is relatively easy, many stores sell cloth them, so you do not even have to make one, and if you forget your bag at home, you can always buy another one at the store. It is easy, and right now quite trendy. Friends and aquaintences see celebs (and me) carrying the bag and now they have one too. The good news is that there are a few less plastic bags, but the bad news is that this becomes another thing to buy and our continual consumption habit does not change. It is a change, and it is a change that people are easily able to incorporate into their lives.

The more small changes I make the more likely I am to have my community come along with me, making this journey a less lonely one. However it is the larger, more life altering changes that make me feel as though I am making a difference.

No comments: