Saturday, April 12, 2008

Hanging out with the cool kids

Her Crunchiness has set up a fund raiser stating that she will shave her head if $10 000 is raised for the Muliple Myelona Research Foundation. Unfortunately her husband has been diagnosed with this incurrable cancer. Many of her readers are donating and I certainly encourage people to do so. One of her readers, Sharon Astyk from Casabon's Book spoke about her postive feelings towards Crunchy Chicken and Shasha Cedar and other bloggers. She also admitted that after thinking, of course I will help Crunchy and what can I do to, she thought that while Crunchy may still be prettier than she is, "baldness will definately close the gap a little."



I read and look at Crunchy Chicken and I am in awe of the changes and challenges she has accomplished. She is a beautiful woman who is smart talented and very funny (when you read her blog you will know exactly what I am talking about). Sharon's blog while not usually what I would consider funny is a constant source of information and inspiration. I confess that when I read Crunchy, or Sharon's or some other bloggers, I feel at times (not a lot and mainly when I am struggling with my own blog) like I am the dork waiting for an invite.


I grew up with the perfect brother: he's smart, funny, athletic, good looking, and tall, in short perfect. Really, I am none of these things. Please do not get me wrong, I have a number of other talents and gifts if you will that I would not trade, and I really do love my brother. In fact, I believe that we have a great relationship. When I was in high school there were the cool girls, who were athletic, beautiful and very popular; trust me, I was not part of their crowd. By time I had move onto college and university, it was the artisic and very intellectual girls who I wanted to be a part of but, was not. Before anyone starts thinking that I am in a funk and really down on myself, I'm not. I have a wonderful family, amazing friends, and in general a life that I would not change.


I think that as we progress throughout our lives, our definitions of who is cool and who is not changes. Maturation seems to bring about a recognition and appreciation of our own talents and beauty, and the talents and beauty of others. However, occassionally, my inner dorky wannabe rears its ugly head. Sharon's post reminds me that not only am I not alone, but the cool kids also have the same kinds of feelings I have.

No comments: