Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Try, try again...

I love to learn and have decided that I am going to explore some of my interests that I had when I was younger, things like art and design. I am under no illusions that I am somehow the next DaVinci. Even the stuff I do well is not to the level of some masters, but for me it is fine. In other words I can cook well enough to feed myself and guests without having to ensure that the ambulance is on standby, but Iron Chef Feenie I am not. I have decided to learn how to knit and crochet. I figure that this will nurture my creative side without taking away from my practical side. When I get really good I might be able to make sweaters...I do live in Canada and despite global warming it still gets very chilly (read darn tootin cold).

Prior to my deciding to learn these skills, I should note that I can crochet a single line for as long as I would care to, but really that is about it. As for knitting, somehow that is a process that has long had an air of mystery for me. I know and have known extremely talented people who are able to create wonderful items through knitting and/or crocheting, but alas not me. In fact my grandmother was an amazing knitter; I'm not actually sure I remember seeing her sit down to watch television without knitting something. She made sweaters, blankets, toques, and a number of other things. I also have a really good friend who is very artistically talented. When we were housemates for a bit she crocheted these amazing sweaters, not lacy ones, but gorgeous sweaters that fashionable type people wore. Both of these people make it all seem so easy.

My grandmother did attempt to teach me to knit, but for whatever reason, I was never able to get it. As for crocheting, my good friend was able to explain crocheting things other than a really long chain. I remember being able to crochet a square, but really it has been a very long time and honestly I just cannot remember what she was teaching me. Previously I have borrowed from the library (and once in a while bought) in an effort to learn how to do both. Thus far, I have not been successful. Once again I have signed out a book from the library, in the hopes of changing my track record. This time however, I have borrowed a book from the children's section. Perhaps this time Ill have more success.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you're giving it another try!
You have an innate gift for visualizing things in three-dimensions (as evidenced by your wonderful sewing) - so I have no doubt you'll enjoy this.

You just need to find a source that explains it in a way that works for you - and I'm sure you will!

Post pics!
:)
AT

rosiegirl said...

I'd post pics, but I still do not have a digital camera and will need to learn how to download the pics. Things to learn....