Thursday, August 21, 2008

For the love of pets

Shhh....don't tell my strata, but I share my humble abode with two (yes, I said two) cats. With the exception of the balcony, they are indoors. Mostly they sleep and shed. It is only occasionally they have fits of energy and rip through the apartment like they are on fire. They each have their own very distinct personality and for me they are like children. Love me, love my cats. I am a pet person. You might say that if you are not a pet lover, I'm not the person for you. It is a deal breaker for me. Anyone who knows me will confirm this.


I was talking to one of the women I work with and she mentioned that she is not a pet person. However she also mentioned that her children are really excited to move to a house because they will be getting a dog. She went on to explain that she has already told her husband that she wants no part of a dog, that the dog will not under any circumstances be allowed in the house and that if anything happens the dog will have to leave. She has had bad experiences with pets in the past and has no desire to get one. As for her husband, he works long hours and her children are way too young to assume the full responsibility of a dog. And yet, it would appear that that they will be getting a dog. My prediction is that this dog will not last long in this household. While I do not think ill towards this person, I am hopeful that they do not get this pet, only because this is not a pet who will be allowed to be a part of the family, and when (not if) the dog becomes a hassle or does something irritating, the dog will be forced to leave.


I take my responsibility for my pets very seriously. I got the first kitty (Sweetie Pie) while I was still renting after I asked the property manager if I could get a house cat. Although the place had a 'no pets' policy, I decided to ask anyways. In my mind I had decided that if the property manager was not willing or able to allow me a cat, I would be moving as soon as I could find a place that would allow a pet. At the time I realized that I needed to have some sort of pet for my emotional and mental state of mind. As a child we always had cats and for me they make a home. That and I was tired of coming back to a place where the only sound was the radio or television.


Years later when I was buying my own place, one of the deal breakers was a no pets policy. The place I currently live in allows for one small pet (either a dog or a cat). After a while I found that others in the complex had more than the single pet. In each case it was two indoor cats. So I put out the feelers for another cat as a companion for Sweetie Pie. Enter George. Like Sweetie Pie, George is a rescue.


I recognize that having a pet or two is a big responsibility, but there are also wonderful rewards. Financially, the vet bills can add up. Kitty food and litter are not free either. When I go on vacation I need to ensure that someone takes care of them. There are really nice things about having a pet (they both make for wonderful footsie warmers in the winter and great companions while watching a movie) and some not so nice things (changing the litter box). But for me, the good really does outweigh the not so good.


Having a pet is a long term commitment. I believe it is unfair to bring an animal into a home that is not entirely keen on having it, or is unwilling or unable to make the commitment needed for the life of the animal. No matter what kind of pet, inevitably the pet will get into something, destroy something or behave in a manner that makes you want to scream. I could talk about the first day I got Sweetie Pie and how she bit through my hand after she became extremely terrified. Or I could talk about how when I am sick, both of them refuse to leave my side, and to this day when I am on the computer, at least one of them is on the back of the chair guarding me from any potential intruder. It is the latter that I chose to focus on.


Finally I believe that each of us needs to be honest with ourselves and others. As I said at the beginning of this post, I am a pet person. I love my pets and recognize that my decisions affect the quality of all of our lives. Even when I live with others, I still crave (need?) the affection of animals. Others are not the same. Some like my workmate have no desire for pets, but are being pulled into pet ownership. Perhaps I am being too harsh on my workmate, and should pretend that it is not a big deal, but then I would not be honest with myself or for that matter others.

No comments: