Saturday, January 3, 2009

Resolutions for the new year

It is the new year and that usually means resolutions. Yes, I said it...resolutions. Many of the blogs I read, note their resolutions for the year. In a number of cases these are the same resolutions that many make, weight loss, exercising more, saving money, etc., however there are a few that are less than popular, these include expanding the garden, preparing for life change, building an addition to the home, and getting a pet. These resolutions are meant to bring about positive change, which is a good thing. Except that, it seems many do not keep their resolutions. Statistics seem to vary as to exactly how many people achieve their stated goal(s), the vast majority do not seem to make it. I wish I could remember where I read it, but it was 92% of North Americans did not keep their resolutions. This number increases as time progresses.



For myself I tend not to make resolutions, but as I am getting older there are a number of things that I wish to accomplish and unless I have a deadline or some level of accountability, it will not get done. I can procrastinate with the best of them. I am guessing that I am not the only one. So here it goes, what I hope to accomplish this year. I will keep everyone updated (really this is just a handful of people who actually read this blog).


1. Like a number of people I wish to lose some excess weight. I have a specific number, but I am not ready to divulge that right now. Suffice it to say it is a reasonable amount. My main reason for losing weight, I am getting older and I am noticing a number of changes in my body that are aging me prematurely. I want to be healthier, I want to get off of my blood pressure medication, I want to increase my energy. In short as we say in the biz..."I want to live to bleed the pension dry." Although I am not prepared to let you know the numbers I will let you know how I am doing with this goal.


2. Continuing on with my health, I wish to increase my exercise. By the end of the year I want to be consistently walking at least 1 hour five time per week. Right now I tend to be a bit of a couch potato and part of my achieving goal number 1, will have to include an increase in exercise for me. This is not something I enjoy doing, but it must be done. Why am I focusing on walking versus another type of exercise...simple, it is something that I can do any time and does not require special equipment. Also when I was in university I used to walk with a walkman for hours at night while I composed my essays in my head prior to writing/typing them out. I really enjoyed this; it was nothing for me to walk for 2 to 3 hours just listening to music. I no longer have a walkman, but I do have an MP3 Player, thus I figure that I am set. No excuses.


3. Another common goal is to work on my finances. A few years ago I bought my place (condo) and this dramatically increased my monthly shelter payment. I have gone through my savings and really need to reorganize my finances, especially if I am to weather this recession. Thus my financial goal is to start saving money. I am going to start with a very small amount, $50 per pay cheque. Hopefully this will increase my chances of success. If I find that this is something that I find is not an issue, I may increase the amount, but for now it is $50.


4. And yet another common goal is to organize myself; at least somewhat. I have never been the most organized person on the planet, and quite frankly I am not going to pretend that I am now going to be organized. However I would like to compliment goal number 3 and organize my bills and financial correspondence.


5. I spent a lot of time last year working on canning and food preservation and I wish to continue this. This year, in addition to canning and freezing food, I am going to attempt dehydration. Not only does this activity ensure that I have food throughout the winter and early spring, it also works with my DIY attitude for life.


6. Speaking of DIY, I also plan to learn how to knit and/or crochet. I have been trying to learn on my own with books from the library without much success. I have found a knitting class in town and on Monday I will give them my money for the classes. It is 28 weeks and is $175 for the instruction only. There is a book that I will also have to purchase and of course my wool/yarn and needles. By the end of the course I hope that I can at least knit a cute little hat or something.


7. Finally, I wish to consistently post on this blog as this will provide some measure of accountability. It is my hope that I will post at least once per week.

Although fairly standard, these are a few of the things I hope to accomplish this year. This does not mean that I plan on doing nothing else, just that I want to ensure that I maintain a focus on these issues. Hopefully all of us will be able to maintain the resolutions or goals we are aspiring to.

No comments: