Sunday, January 11, 2009

Challenges

Out in my neck of the woods we have finally finished with snow, and it appears the rain is also finally subsiding. There are a few places that are still under flood watch, and parts of Chilliwack are flooded, but thankfully no loss of human life. Still it is cold, and I have signed up for Crunchy Chicken's "Freeze Yer Buns Challenge". I've been spending a lot of time under the blankets in an effort to keep warm. And because I am under the blankets, there has been a lot of time reading, or surfing the net.

I have signed up for another challenge, a science reading challenge. I already belong to a local book club. I joined a club not only for the social aspect, but also to challenge myself to read books that I might not normally choose to read. With this in mind, I decided that I would not review books for the science challenge, that I have already read or would normally read. In other words no books about sustainability, climate change, peak oil, etc. I want to read about aspects of science that I might not otherwise have chosen. I think a starting place might be female scientists. I done a bit of looking, but I have not decided which books I am going to choose. I do hope lots of people sign up for the Science Book Challenge 2009. Hopefully this link works out (I admit I still have not been able to figure out what I am doing wrong when it comes to linking), however if it does not please google them.

On the home front I have indeed signed up for the knitting classes. When I first inquired about the classes I explained that I am a complete novice, I know nothing. I believe I said something to the effect of... "see all this stuff, to me it is a bunch of yarn and some pointy sticks." I showed up and signed up. The lovely woman then informs me that for this class, which again is for beginners, I have to know how to knit and purl. I then shoot her one of my 'are you kidding me' looks and once again explain that I am looking for the "I have no idea how to knit class" as I do not know how to knit. After a bit of an Abbott and Costello routine, she, thankfully offers to teach me how to knit and purl (by the way, these are two very basic stitches). So I have pre-classes if you will.

Hope all is well with everyone.

No comments: