Monday, May 19, 2008

Rhubarb is in the market

Right now I am deep into rhubarb season. I have to admit that this is a vegetable that I have not normally eaten, other than in the occasional pie. However, in my quest to eat as locally as possible, it is now something that I am working to further incorporate into my diet, because let's face it, there are only so many pies that I can eat.
There are other foods that are in season such as potatoes, radishes and white turnips, and like rhubarb I am trying to learn recipes that incorporate locally available, in season foods. For me this means the Internet, library, and my local farmer for recipes and hints. Most of the recipes that I have tried and continue to use, come from cookbooks that I have either bought or usually borrowed from the library.
Right now I am desperately trying to figure out if it is possible to can rhubarb or if I should just freeze some; if I do freeze some, what preparations should I do first. I have found some recipes for conserves, chutney and jam, but I would like to save some rhubarb for a crumble in the winter or possibly a sauce for turkey or something. Also the recipes that I have found contain a number of ingredients that are not even close to local for me (pineapple does not even approach being local for me), and I would like to try and keep as many of the ingredients as local as possible. The whole preserving thing for me has been and continues to be quite the learning process. For now it is off to other sites for further information about rhubarb and other food.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you used a food dryer/dehydrator? I keep thinking of getting one and making veggie chips and stuff...
If you have any experience with them, let me know!

:)
AT

rosiegirl said...

Hello AT

I haven't used a food dryer/dehydrator yet. I have to admit that I am a little concerned over the use of heat with plastic and my food. But I do keep eyeballing them and thinking, that this would be a good thing for me to do, especially since I keep increasing my refusal of non local and processed foods. I'll let you know if I do decide to get one.

Rose