Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day.



Today is Mother's Day and later when I am much more likely to reach her on the telephone, I will get a chance to talk to her. I have a lot of wonderful memories of the both of us. Throughout my life she has sacrificed a lot, so that I might have a better life. As a child we went camping, not because my mother enjoys camping, but because I love to camp, and I think my brother also enjoyed the activity. I have to admit that my mother's version of roughing it is a hotel room without 24 hour room service, the concept of a tent and a small fire to keep warm by is completely unimaginable to her now. This is but one example of her love and sacrifice.



She also tried to teach me a lot of things. I say tried, only because I was (and am) a stubborn individual who usually has to learn things on her own. At various points in my life she taught me a number of skills, such as canning and sewing, however as I got older these skills faded or in some cases completely disappeared. Nowadays, as I further develop my canning, sewing and other skills, I am reminded that these are the same things she did. At the time her main purpose was to save money, not to reduce her carbon foot print. Regardless of her primary motivation, she was 'being green' long before anyone I knew did that kind of thing. As I get older I appreciate everything she managed to teach me and continues to teach me today.



Happy Mother's Day. I love you and I thank you for everything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Thanks for sending me the link!
If you don't mind, I'm going to put you on my blogroll (as a link) and bring your blog to the attention of an online friend who is also into canning and preserving etc!

Comment to you again soon!
:)
A Thompson