Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Adventures with the CSA

This year I joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). I wanted to make sure that I was supporting the local economy, that I was getting the freshest local food available, and I was expanding my produce horizons.

I have not lived on a farm and really most of my exposure to plants is limited to say the least. The CSA I am a part of sends out an e-mail list of available produce on Monday, by Wednesday I choose what I would like and then on Saturday I pick up my produce. My first trip to the farm involved me driving around this very small farming community desperately trying to figure out which farm I was supposed to pick up my order. Now before anyone starts to wonder why I just did not look at the address. The farms did not seem to have addresses, and when they did, the numbers were either partially or completely obscured by some sort of plants. Finally I found the one I was looking for and after a few wrong steps made my way to the fridge where my produce was waiting for me. When I go home and unpacked my bounty, there were a few things that I did not recognize. I quickly figured out what the majority of it was, but I was still left with what look like green onions on steroids. After checking my order, and the Internet I found my garlic. Who knew out of the ground garlic looks like it does (other than my farmer friends).

I must say I am looking forward to this weeks' selection and am really glad I have started this. Whoo hoo, and bring on the fruits and veggies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Awesome system!

Sounds like you're on a culinary adventure! LOL!! Interesting how our lives parallel.
My FructMal has forced me to discover new foods and cooking methods.

Have fun cooking your bounty!

:)
AT